Hailstorms are common in Franklin and throughout Middle Tennessee. However, even if you are used to clinking and clanging of ice on your roof, it pays to know what hail damage looks like, how to identify it, and when to call for roofing repair.
If you’ve recently experienced storms, you may be wondering if your roof has taken a hit. Fortunately, you don’t have to call in an expert for a superficial inspection. With a ladder and attention to detail, you can look for visible signs of damage. These include:
- Loose granules. Asphalt shingles have tiny granules (these look like large pieces of sand) that help maintain the integrity of the material. Missing granules can indicate damage or degradation.
- Circular black spots. Hail impact can knock many granules loose in a single location. If you notice round spots, there is a good chance your home has been hit.
- Divots. Impact can also create divots in the roof. These are shallow impressions that can indicate damage to the shingles or the roof below.
It is not always possible to climb up a ladder and look for damage yourself. When this is the case, a few potential signs of a hail incident include:
- Visible damage to your vehicle. Unless your car is parked under a carport or in the garage, it can incur damage during a hail downpour. Look for small dents scattered over the hood and roof. When you notice these, call your roofing repair professionals, who are happy to come anywhere in Franklin to assess the damage.
- Missing leaves on trees. The bigger the hail, the more likely it is to strip trees of their leaves.
Other Possible Causes Of Roof Damage
While hail can quickly cause destruction of property, it’s not the only villain in this story. Heavy wind, excessive rain, improper installation, UV degradation, and natural wear and tear can all take a toll on shingles, no matter what material they’re made out of. Roofing repair is necessary for most types of damage. However, your inspector can also tell you if the issues are superficial, which may buy you some time if you’re not quite ready to repair or replace your roof.
Although roofing damage never makes anybody happy, the good news is that many insurance policies actually cover hail damage, even if it’s been a few months since the storm. Keep in mind that you will probably have to pay a deductible. Something else to remember: you have a choice when it comes to choosing your roofing repair company. Franklin-based QE Roofing is happy to offer quotes as well as references and proof of license and insurance.
You don’t have to let a damaged roof ruin your home. Contact QE Roofing today for your free inspection, and you won’t have to wonder what’s protecting you from the elements. QE Roofing provides roofing services to all TN homes in Nashville, Brentwood, Franklin, Murfreesboro, Nolensville, Spring Hill, Thompsons Station, Smyrna, and Columbia.